At Westminster, we believe that we
develop our faith over the
course of our entire lives.
Westminster Faith Formation is our holistic and integrated approach to Christian Education and Music on Sundays and Wednesdays. We seek to create space for all ages to learn, connect, and be transformed by the Holy Spirit through music, Christian Education classes, missional engagement, and Christian community.
Our hope for Faith Formation at Westminster is that it will nurture our discipleship within our Christian community so we can continue to grow in our faith beyond the walls of Westminster. Faith Formation activities are mainly held on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings.
At Westminster, we believe that we develop our faith over the course of our entire lives. Our hope for Faith Formation at Westminster is that it will nurture our discipleship within Christian community so we can (be equipped) to continue to grow in our faith beyond the walls of Westminster.
Classes are held on Sunday mornings from September through May. Registration forms are available at westpres.org/register.
- 9:00 - 9:50 a.m. - Classes and Fellowship- Classes offered for Kids, Youth and Adults. See next page for activities by age. Coffee, juice and donuts are available in The Commons.
- 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. - Worship
- 11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Classes and Fellowship - All Things Considered meets in Westminster Hall. See westpres.org/atc for upcoming speakers. Additional Adult Education classes are also available. Coffee, juice and donuts are available in The Commons.
We gather weekly on Wednesdays from September through April to grow together as God’s people. Registration forms are available at westpres.org/register.
- 5:45 - 6:15 p.m. - Dinner: We start at 5:45 in for a meal and fellowship together. Kids and adults will meeting Westminster Hall. Youth will meet in The Commons.
- 6:15 - 6:30 p.m. - Worship: A simple worship service is held in Westminster Hall to help us center on God before moving into smaller groups. It includes music, singing and prayer.
- 6:30-7:30 p.m. Faith Formation Classes: We meet in smaller groups based on ages and area of interest. See next page for more information.
Sundays: We seek to nurture our littlest ones and empower parents from the get-go. Childcare is provided for children from babies through preschool in our Nursery from 8:45 to noon, (unless otherwise noted). A Faith Formation class will be held in the Nursery (Room 204) for two- and three-year-old children from
Wednesdays: Childcare is provided for our littlest ones in our Nursery from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. including faith formation fun.
Sundays: Our kids will explore stories of the Bible with “Spark: Activate Faith.” This fun curriculum follows the Revised Common Lectionary, which means they will hear the Bible story in Sunday School, hear it again in a new way during Worship, and then be able to integrate that learning at home with the help of family discussion guides. Once a month, our 2nd-5th graders participate in “Kids’ Leadership Sunday” where they serve as leaders during Worship.
Wednesdays: Preschoolers to 1st graders will learn about God through Bible stories and playing “Bitty Bells.” The 2nd-3rd and 4th-5th grade groups will rotate between Christian Education and Music Stations. Our kids will be exploring Spiritual Formation practices in creative ways this year.
6th-7th Graders will explore the ancestors of our faith by exposing the real, unpolished, and unexpected personalities of Old and New Testament characters. Through this study, they will have an opportunity to discover the similarities between themselves and the many unlikely people selected by God to do extraordinary things.
Confirmation (8th Graders) will engage in study, prayer, discussion, and activities that challenge them to consider deeply what they believe and how that intersects with their faith tradition.
9th-12th Graders will be gathering together to look at issues of race and justice through the lens of our Christian faith.
Wednesday night is a time for youth to connect with each other through teaching, games, and small groups. We will cover a wide range of topics throughout the year including spiritual disciplines, social justice, spiritual gifts, and living out our daily lives as Christians.
- 4:00-5:45 p.m. Study Hall/Fellowship time in the Senior High Suite
- 5:45 p.m. Gather in Commons separately for pizza
- 6:15-6:30 p.m. Group games/fellowship
- 6:30-7:00 p.m. Worship and message
- 7:00-7:30 p.m. Small group discussion
There are a variety of ways adults can engage in their faith formation on Sundays.
Adults are invited to join :
- Bible Study
- “All Things Considered” Current Issues Forum - see westpres.org/atc for upcoming speakers
- Discipleship Groups (small groups focused on growing together as disciples of Jesus)
- And more!
There are many opportunities for adults to participate in Faith Formation, whether by volunteering as teachers or by engaging in a class or Discipleship Group of their own.
- Facing Race study with Erin Marth
- Financial Peace University (September - November 2017)
- Men’s Group
- Book Club - learn about our current book at www.westpres.org/westminster-book-club/